Has this ever happened to you? You are creating a card and you want to make it more personal? Or you need a sentiment that just doesn’t come on a rubber stamp? What to do? Head to the computer!
It’s actually very easy to do and you can totally customize what you want to say! With a little creative ink, you can make a computer sentiment look like it was stamped! Let me TEACH YOU HOW….
- Open any word processing program. I am using Microsoft Word but any program will do.
- Type in the text you want to use.
- Center it, justify it, tweak it to your liking.
- Have some fun with FONTS! Fonts are so much fun to play with.
- To change the font, highlight your text.
- Click on the FONT icon and scroll through. Click on different fonts and when you’re happy, you’re good to go.
- Now you want to change the SIZE of your text. Click on the FONT SIZE icon. It can be a little tricky knowing what size to choose since you may not be sure what size the final image should be. I recommend around 12-18, depending on how many words are in the text itself. In my sample, I actually wish I had made it a little smaller.
- Time to add some color! You can leave the text black OR you can create text in Stampin’ Up’s custom colors.
- Click on the FONT COLOR icon. You can choose any of the pre-determined colors or click MORE COLORS to customize.
- To create a custom color, use the RGB codes found in the DIGITAL COLOR CONVERSIONS CHART (a huge shout out to my friend Nicole for creating it and letting me share). Just add the numbers for R (red), G (green), and B (blue). Boom! Stampin’ Up colors!
- Place a piece of Stampin’ Up’s Whisper White cardstock in your printer and print out the sentiment.
- Now let’s make your sentiment look less “computerized” by adding some color.
- I have rubbing alcohol in my Aqua Painter and I pressed the lid of my Crumb Cake ink pad to the ink pad itself.
- See that little puddle of ink? Make sure your Aqua Painter has some alcohol going through it by gently squeezing the barrel.
- Sop up some ink and spread it around your sentiment OR over just individual words. This is only one way you can add color to your computer sentiment.
- How about highlighting a word here and there using Stampin’ Write markers that match your cardstock? Underline words you want to punch. Get creative!
- Trim your sentiment down to a workable size. You will have plenty of cardstock left over to use as a card base or scrap for punching later on.
- Pick out a framelit that will fit your sentiment. This is where you are going to be SO happy you have all those layering framelits – squares, oval, circles, and Stitched Shapes.
- Run the sentiment through your Big Shot machine and you’re all set!
- Now you’re ready to create a card using your custom sentiment!
Here are the measurements for my card but get creative with your project:
- Early Espresso – 8 ½” x 5 ½”, score and fold at 4 ¼”
- Berry Burst – 4 ¼” x 5 ½”
- Whisper White – 8 ½” x 11″ (so it can go through your printer)
- Gold Glimmer Paper – 1″ x 4″
Want to create my card using this technique? Just click a pic to order!
One last thought on today’s TEACH ME THAT. Where to find ideas? Well, my favorite place is memes. They are always so funny and I want to add those humorous quotes to cards sometimes. You see them on Facebook all the time OR you can Google them too. For example, for today’s card, I Googled “Coffee memes” and I had hundreds of ideas at my fingertips. Start a file on your computer with fun sentiment and have some fun creating custom cards!
Funny story about today’s card though. I colored my text for my card and wouldn’t you know it? I ran out of ink! So, I had to go with black. 🙁 I wanted it in Berry Burst. Well, like any creative project, you work with what you’ve got. Are you ready to give today’s technique a try? I hope so!
DON’T FORGET! When you use the July Host Code UN2FHR74 on your order of $20* or more, you will get this month’s exclusive video & written tutorial to create the Magnetic Refrigerator Shopping List/Message Center. This project is fun and easy to create. Would make a great gift too!
Bonus Days Coupons! For every $50* you spend, you earn a $5 coupon to use August 1-31, 2017!
Remember, if your order is over $150.00*, DON’T use the Host Code and earn Stampin’ Rewards (Rewards start at $15) AND $15 Bonus Days coupons on your order!
*Before Tax & Shipping