Today’s TEACH ME THAT is a simple but elegant watercolor wash but with a twist – it’s a DOUBLE watercolor wash. It’s so easy to blend colors using the Aqua Painters.
Can you see the two-tone in the watercolor wash? It’s soft and subtle. I followed up with the speckle technique that I shared with you on Tuesday.
Are you ready to learn how? Here we go!
Here are the supplies you need to create the look:
- Shimmer White Cardstock (you can also use Whisper White cardstock)
- (3) Shades of ink – I chose Soft Sky, Pool Party, and Marina Mist
- Aqua Painter filled with rubbing alcohol
- Snail adhesive
- Tissues or towel (for clean up)
- Copy paper
- Begin by tearing the edge of the copy paper. This will protect the area of your cardstock you want to remain white.
- Add a few tiny dots of Snail adhesive to the torn copy paper. Touch it with your fingers to “de-sticky” the adhesive so that it’s only tacky.
- Adhere onto the cardstock.
- With the ink pad closed, squeeze the lid against the ink pad to all three color ink pads. This will allow the ink to “puddle” inside the lid, giving you a palette to work with.
- Begin with the lightest color ink pad (mine is Soft Sky). Gently squeeze the barrel of the Aqua Painter to add a drop or two of alcohol into the ink.
- Mix the ink and alcohol together.
- At an angle, brush the diluted ink all over the cardstock, allowing the brush to sweep over the copy paper.
- Repeat the process of dropping alcohol onto the medium colored ink pad (Pool Party)
- At an angle in the center of the cardstock, brush the diluted ink all over the cardstock, allowing the brush to sweep over the copy paper, and blend into the previous color.
- On the shimmer white cardstock, this looks amazing!
- Repeat the process of dropping alcohol onto the dark colored ink pad (Marina Mist)
- Get as much ink as you can on the Aqua Painter and firmly tap the center of the brush on your finger.
- This will create “flick” ink splatters.
- Gently remove the copy paper to expose the clean side of the cardstock.
- You are now ready to stamp a sentiment and use this cardstock in any way you’d like.
- Clean up time! Brush your Aqua Painter back and forth on a towel until all the ink is removed.
- With a tissue, wipe all the ink off the lids of the ink pads.
Now you’re ready to create a card using the technique?
Here are the measurements for my card but get creative with your project:
- Soft Sky – 8 ½” x 5 ½”, score and fold at 4 ¼”
- Pool Party – 3 ¾” x 5″
- Shimmery White – 3 ½” x 4 ¾”
- Soft Sky ribbon – 5″ + small bow
Want to create my card using this technique? Just click a pic to order!
*Also available in Wood Mount
Other Color combinations I came up with:
- Lemon Lime Twist, Wild Wasabi, Old Olive
- Powder Pink, Blushing Bride, Flirty Flamingo
- Peekaboo Peach, Calypso Coral, Pumpkin Pie
- So Saffron, Daffodil Delight, Crushed Curry
- Sahara Sand, Crumb Cake, Soft Suede
Christina has to have a Speech & Debate class in order to graduate college. She is studying theatre education and when teaching drama in high school, speech and debate is something she will more than likely teach.
Class started on Monday and she saw the class roster. It seems she is the only one enrolled in the class. Hmm, does this mean she will debate HERSELF? Well, at least she’ll win every argument. lol I told her she should let her alter ego win a few. We wouldn’t want her to feel bad. lol
Here’s the not so funny part of the story… the professor didn’t show up on the first day of class. Well, let’s cut him some slack. Class was to take place at the exact time of the eclipse. He was probably outside with every other student on campus. Christina’s next class with this professor was yesterday afternoon. He was AGAIN a no-show. She’s really worried because she has to have this class to graduate. She is a Senior this year and her advisor has her class schedule set for her final classes for next semester. Speech & Debate won’t be offered again for 3 MORE YEARS! Yes, you read that right. This class is only offered every 3 years. Um, hello! Christina is not going to be one class away from graduation but wait 3 years to get her degree because this professor wouldn’t show up to class. We’re both pretty frustrated right now.
She has talked to just about every department on campus and no one can seem to get in touch with this professor or straighten this mess out. No one can figure out how to help her. She even looked into 3 other colleges nearby to see if she can take it at another school. No one offers it. We are hoping for some good news soon.
I hope you liked the technique today. It’s an easy one but WOW is it pretty! Give it a try. You will love the look.
Use the AUGUST HOST CODE GCDCRYMN on your order of $20* or more, you will NAB A GRAB BAG! What’s in the grab bag? Could be anything! I have some fun product from the previous catalog that is up for grabs! Your grab bag will be inside your Thank You card for placing your online order.
Remember, if your order is over $150.00*, DON’T use the Host Code and earn Stampin’ Rewards (Rewards start at $15) plus a Grab Bag!
*Before Tax & Shipping. One Grab Bag per person.